Sunday, February 1, 2009

Public speaking is the #1 most common fear...

Seriously, why? I don't get it.

I myself feel very comfortable with a mic in my hand and a crowd before me. I say my words, crack a joke, call it a day. Easy stuff.

But apparently public speaking is a major obstacle for people. Sweating and shaking, it makes no sense. What is there to be afraid of? Heckling? Slipping up? Your Appearance?

Let's take these one at a time... shall we?

Heckling is only a public speaking problem for comedians, for everyone else, it's not a problem. If you heckle at a presentation or a political speech, you're thrown out, end of story. So heckling is no problem.

Next is slipping up, why afraid of this? People don't care if you forget the "h" is silent or you use "off" instead of "of". And if they don't care, why should you? You're doing this presentation for them anyway. Plus, if you're not nervous about screwing up, you're less likely to do so. So, chill out.

Then appearance, fuck appearances. You look like what you look like. End of story. Unless you're modeling, forget what you look like and just speak your words.

And many other sub-fears may arise, but they're all irrational. And not irrational like a fear of heights, but irrational like being afraid of vanilla ice cream :/

But, I'm sure you all have your reasons, they just make no sense to me. Public speaking is easy, it just is.

Also, Superbowl Sunday, place your bets!
Cheers.

No comments: